My baby boy is about to turn three!
I keep hearing “Oh, that’s the best age!” regardless of what age he is, but this time I’m inclined to believe it. He’s actually quite funny and charming. He loves slapstick humor and stories about monsters and bad guys (who rampage other people’s stuff. Never his.) We have real conversations. He has definite opinions. He tells me he likes my ponytail and hates my cardigans.
Every day I find myself questioning the things he’s learning, as in “Holy cow, who taught him that amazing thing?” (Usually the answer is daycare.)
I try to write down the adorable things that come out of his mouth, but always forget because they’re usually followed by something horrifying and cringeworthy. Those things I always write down.
Lately I’ve been paying attention to the words I find myself stringing together in response to my dear, sweet child. Things I never thought I’d have to say. Things I never thought I would have to explain. Things I never thought would be compared to a bounce house.
Here are just a few of the highlights of the past few days:
- Because I don’t need a penis, that’s why.
- Honey, please don’t call that nice family, “butt guys.” We don’t even know them.
- Don’t say “doody butt.”
- Don’t say “booty butt.”
- Don’t say “booger butt.”
- Don’t say “butty butt butt booger butt guy.”
- Would you want your name to be,”Toilet Butt?”
- Yes, GOD DAMMIT is potty talk so stop saying it.
- No, you can not say GOD DAMMIT when you’re at home. It’s potty talk here too.
- How did Jacob get a toilet on his head?
- Honey, please stop licking Princess Leia.
- I don’t think the dog wants you to rub your butt on him.
- No, I don’t want to tickle your nipple.
- Can you tickle your own armpit, please?
- Is that shaving cream on your penis?
- No, your penis is not a bounce house.
- Because people don’t like it when you point at their bodies and say, “I can see your penis.”
- No, I don’t know what superpower Naked Toddler has. Do tell.
- Mommy did not say that. You must have imagined it.
- Don’t tell your dad Mommy said that.
- If anyone asks, you heard that from your dad.